Quick links to surveys
- BCC Toowong to West End survey
- BCC St Lucia to West End survey.
- Jonathan Sri and I's community survey.
Back in 2019 the Brisbane City Council announced it’s Greens Bridges Program. Included in this program are two proposed footbridges in West End: one from Toowong to West End and the other going from St Lucia to West End.
Council is currently running community consultation on which alignments (landing locations) local residents prefer for the West End footbridges – closing on 31 March 2021. They have a separate survey for each bridge. You can find the BCC Toowong to West End survey here and the BCC St Lucia to West End survey here. It will take less than 10 minutes to fill them out but it's best to read through this information first to get your head around the pros and cons of the different options.
Councillor Jonathan Sri and I are running our own online local survey, separate to the council’s poorly drafted surveys. Ours is a combined survey about both bridges. I know filling in multiple surveys is a little cumbersome, but these are such big pieces of infrastructure for our local area. Filling in both the council’s surveys and our survey will help Jonno and I advocate effectively for you. You can find our survey here.
If you’re still making your mind up – or are passionate about these footbridges – I’d encourage you to come along to the Footbridges Forum Jonathan Sri, Michael Berkman and I are holding on Saturday 27 February at 4pm in King George Square. This will be a great opportunity to learn more about these different options, hearing from spokespeople from local residents’ associations, transport experts and other stakeholders. Make sure to RSVP here.
What are the options?
The Council is proposing 3 options for each bridge.
For Toowong to West End:
- Option A - 600 Coronation Drive, Toowong, to Orleigh Park, West End (landing near the river-end of Forbes Street)
- Option B - Option B – Archer Street, Toowong (mid-block) to Orleigh Park, West End (landing just to the north of the river end of Drury Street)
- Option C - Archer Street, Toowong (near Glen Road) to Orleigh Park (landing just to the south of the river end of Drury Street)
For St Lucia to West End:
- Option A – Guyatt Park, St Lucia to Orleigh Park, West End (landing near the river end of Morry Street – very close to the West End Ferry terminal)
- Option B – the river end of Munro Street, St Lucia to around 111 Ryan Street, West End
- Option C – the river end of Keith Street, St Lucia to the river end of Boundary Street (landing close to the corner of Paradise and Boundary Streets)
What happens next?
Well it depends on the outcome of the consultation, and then whether the council can get additional funding from either the Queensland or Australian Government.
Jonathan Sri, Michael Berkman and I will be carefully pouring over all the feedback we’ve received from local residents. We’ll be drawing on this information to form a formal position, and then we’ll be advocating for this.
The BCC will go away and prepare business cases, other technical investigations and assessments and concept designs. It’s likely to be years before construction begins, and longer before we see the bridges.
Jonathan Sri and I will keep everyone over here on the south side updated with any new information we get – sign up on this page for updates.