By properly taxing the big end of town we’ll be able to afford the billions of dollars of public infrastructure we’ll need to transition to a new economy that will ensure prosperity and comfort for all Queenslanders.
In the last few years of thermal coal and gas production Queensland must make the big mining corporations pay their fair share. The Queensland Greens will raise an extra $20 billion over five years by properly taxing big coal and gas corporations.
Over the medium term the world will be transitioning away from thermal coal and gas. It’s crucial that Queensland undertakes a jobs-first transition that puts people, not corporations, at the heart of our plan for the future.
Queensland Greens will:
- Increase the coal royalty rate from the current 7% to 18.75%
- Establish the 18.75% rate as the flat rate regardless of the market price of coal
- Increase the gas royalty rate from the current 10% to 18.75% (This will be levied via the net back method)
- Eliminate all state government subsidies to mining corporations, which we estimate totals $1.3 billion a year.
- Announce a commission of inquiry into gas corporations dodging tax in Queensland and closing tax loopholes
- Ban the expansion of coal and gas in Queensland.