The waves of COVID throughout 2022 have been stressful for many in our community– whether you’ve been sick yourself, caring for loved ones, or working in uncertain circumstances.
A particular shout out to our frontline and healthcare workers, who have been doing an amazing job given the strain being put on our already stretched healthcare system.
In response to the first big Omicron wave this January, I teamed up with Max Chandler-Mather and his team to run a local COVID Community Help program.
With the help of our wonderful Greens volunteers, we delivered over 50 free food boxes over the last four months to locals who were isolating due to COVID-19. Our volunteers also picked up Click & Collect orders, sourced RATs and dropped off masks. If you need a hand, please don’t hesitate to call my office 07 3724 9100 or email [email protected]
Alongside doing what I can to support the community, I’ve been advocating for the broader funding and support our hospitals, schools and workplaces need.
- In November 2021 I moved a Bill for a COVID Health Levy on the Big Banks, that would raise $1 billion a year to bolster our health system;
- In the beginning of January 2022, I wrote to the Premier and Minister for Health regarding the urgent need for investment in testing, health care and support for the Omicron surge
- In the beginning of January 2022, I also wrote to the Minister for Education to implement COVID measures in schools prior to their reopening
- In mid January 2022, I wrote to the Prime Minister urging him to raise JobSeeker, Youth Allowance and the Disability Support Pension in response to the Omicron outbreak
- Later in January 2022, I wrote to the Minister for Small Business about increasing the level of support for struggling small businesses
- In February 2022 I wrote to the Minister for Health pushing for supports to be put in place for people with long COVID
- In mid February 2022, I wrote to the Minister for Seniors and Disability Services about a range of measures that needed to be put in place to protect diasbled people from Omicron.